Thursday, June 24, 2010

Embracing the fact that I am an INFP

Ya know that post I just wrote about what I loser I am?  Well, I used to beat myself up for being so lame, weird, stupid, irresponsible, all-over-the-place, different (insert criticism here) and then I realized I wasn't alone.   There are thousands of people out there just like me.   According to the Myer-Briggs personality type test I am an INFP.  What does that mean?  That means that there is a label for my disorder, no, just kidding, it means that I'm okay.  It means that I am not insane and that I am not alone.   And I am definitely not the only one who feels this way.

How do I know this?  Because I discovered a group of over 6,000 individuals that hail from all over the world on facebook who think, feel, and do things just like me.  I was happy to know that they were just as relieved as I was about finding out that they are not the only weird ones.  Here's the typical reaction one posts on the wall when they find the INFP group.  This is from Mark from Texas, "I just found out today that I'm an INFP individual. I thought something was wrong with me cause the world looked so different to me. I could fit in everywhere with anyone, but I never quite belonged."


Nicola, "I've only just found out my 'type' and it has explained A LOT! I've read a lot about it and really identify with a lot of it that it's scary. I've felt so lost my whole life, especially the last few years, and I'm actually really relieved and comforted to know that it's a type and that I'm not alone and not a just a total mentalist, which I have thought I was for a long time. I've never been able to accept myself, and as overly cheesy as this is, and maybe I'm reading too much into it, or just want to rationalise stuff somehow, it feels like I'm closer to self acceptance after finding out I'm an INFP!"


Kejsare, "I used to think I was a psychopath of some sort until I was convinced to take a personality test by an online friend that pushed me a lot to do so because he was curious about my kind. I've now come to the realization that I'm not a psychopath, but that we all are, and I'm very relieved."

Malissa, "Used to think was the weirdest creature on earth.....still do actually....it just feels good to know that I'm not weird alone."


Lol.  Aren't those great?  Okay, so you're starting to get the idea.  Does this make you want to know more about INFPs?  Does it make you curious about your own type?   

You can read about it here.  And if you want you can find out what your personality type is by clicking here or here or here.  Out of 100 people, 2 or 3 or 4 of the people are INFPs.  They are not very common.  I personally only know two.  My daughter is one and a friend I made in high school is the other.  She and I don't see each other much since we're both terrible at keeping in touch (it's an INFP thing).  Of course being an INFP is no excuse for lame behavior.  It doesn't excuse any of it.  And there are many other INFPs who have overcome the tendency of perfectionism and procrastination and who are very successful.  Princess Diana and JK Rowling are two INFPs that I look up to.  
Remember how I said I used to beat myself up for being this way, well, it turns out self loathing isn't uncommon for INFPs either.  We're a pretty messed up group actually.  We love things that are sad, we don't fit in, and we're hurt easily.

No comments: