Monday, July 28, 2008

Zoo Boise


Our plan for today was Zoo Boise. I can't count how many times I've been to this zoo, but I can tell you that we always have a good time. I take that back. I just remembered one exception and I'll mention it because you'll want to know this. About three years ago, my daughter and I went on a highly anticipated trip to the zoo, only to find every daycare, preschool, and kindergarten class there too. Since then we haven't gone to the zoo during the month of May. I would suggest staying away unless you love crowds of little people.

Zoo Boise is very kid friendly. Besides seeing fun animals, you can slide down a giraffe's neck, dig for "fossils" out of the sandbox, climb on the back of a gorilla, and pop up next to a prairie dog. But best of all, at least for my kids, is the carousel. Bring some one dollar bills and look for it by the pond.

One thing to note is that our zoo here in Boise really great, but not what you might find in bigger cities. So if you're expecting a gigantic zoo with exotic animals, you will come away disappointed. But that's not to say that it is not great.

We like to go for an hour or two, look at the animals, slide on the giraffe slide, and get a popsicle. You don't have to pay a lot of money, or fight big crowds, and that's why we like it. It's really laid back and oriented to your children. My favorite animals are the meerkats and the penguins.

Next time we go, we plan to walk through the rose gardens at Julia Davis park afterwards. It's beautiful and free.

Also, check out my link to the zoo's website for special events like Boo at the Zoo. During the fall and winter they have half price Thursdays.

****Four out of four stars.

No comments: